We all use infrastructure every day and it is essential to the smooth running of the country. Infrastructure includes all of the systems the UK uses to work effectively including transport systems, communication networks, power supplies, and water systems.
This study programme will develop your skills and knowledge in a wide range of Engineering pathways that will prepare you for further study and an exciting career in infrastructure. You will acquire the Maths and Engineering principles required to excel in Power, Electrical Distribution, Electronics, Design, and Civil Engineering. NCATI offers a combination of theory and practice delivered in our state-of-the-art facilities leading to a nationally recognised qualification.
Subject to validation in 2022
For those who are new to the rail industry and 16 years of age or over, this 2-year course gives you a broad introduction to and foundation knowledge of infrastructure in particular.
You will complete a broad range of units including:
- Engineering Principles
- The Delivery of Engineering Processes Safely as a Team
- Engineering Product Design and Manufacture
- Applied Commercial and Quality Principles in Engineering
- Microcontroller Systems for Engineers
- Calculus to Solve Engineering Problems
Additionally, you will complete a specialist engineering project.
This course is a study programme which consists of:
- A vocational qualification
- Work experience
- English and Maths
- Further Engineering Mathematics
- Computer-Aided Design in Engineering (CAD)
- Mechanical Behaviours of Metallic and Non-metallic Materials
- Electrical Machines
- Power and Energy Electronics
- Electronic Devices and Circuits
- Static Mechanical Principles
The course is assessed through a combination of exams, coursework and simulated work problems
After completing the programme, this qualification will be equivalent to three A-Levels, which enables you to study Engineering or a related subject at degree level.
Alternative progression routes include Higher or Degree Apprenticeships or full-time employment in the engineering industry.
This course is FREE for 16-19 year-olds.
BTEC Extended Diploma (Level 3)
2 years, 3 days a week (Monday-Wednesday)
4 GCSEs at grade C/4 or above including English, Maths and 1 Science
BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Engineering - Merit